No longer need you suffer unnecessarily the social handicap and embarrassment which birth defects, or injury to face and mouth can cause. These conditions can now be easily corrected. The M&O Department surgeons at FVH are skilled specialists in the latest procedures required to regain normalcy of appearance and function of face and mouth. All members of the M&O team – surgeons, consulting specialists, technicians and nursing staff – are noted for their professionalism and compassion to patients with this delicate condition.
Established in March 2005, the Maxillofacial and Oral Department deals with all acute and chronic conditions of the face and oral cavity that can be treated, improved, or corrected surgically. Maxillo-facial surgeons have been trained to master several types of surgical techniques such as microsurgery, plastic surgery, orthognatic surgery, and implantology.
At FVH, the Maxillofacial Department works closely with the Dental, Ear Nose & Throat (ENT), and the Ophthalmology Departments to provide the best of care and treatment for patients.
Emergency – Trauma
Facial trauma is any injury to the face or jawbone. Most common causes are sports-related, accidents, particularly motorbike accidents, and penetrative injuries. Maxillo-facial surgeon must restore the various functions (for example eating normally) while preserving the best appearance possible, particularly through endo-surgical techniques to avoid scars of the face.
The main areas of expertise of Maxillofacial & Oral surgeons are:
- Congenital abnormalities – deformity to the upper lip and/or to the roof of the mouth (cleft lip, cleft palate)
- Orthognathic surgery – correction of misaligned jaws resulting in exposure of upper gums; plastic surgery of the chin
- Temporo-mandibular joint disorders – conditions relating to the connection of upper and lower jaws
- Cancer surgery of the neck, face and mouth
- Plastic / cosmetic surgery of the face – eye lids, facial lifting, removal of scars, re-positioning of ears, facial deformities caused by birth abnormalities, severe burn injuries
- Treatment of snoring and sleep apnea (correction of breathing difficulties experienced during sleep
- Dental extractions and surgical removal of wisdom teeth
- Surgery of the salivary glands
- Bone graft surgery for dental implants
- Surgery for placement of dental implants
- Orthodontic: under the supervision of the maxillo-facial surgeon, our dentists are using sequential correction to adjust the back teeth first and the front teeth later on, thus preserving your smile for a longer time.
The Maxillofacial Department provides state-of-the-art medical technology. Close co-operation between the Imaging Department and the Maxillofacial Department – using the latest CT Scanner and X-ray Radiography – allows the surgeon to accurately assess the patient’s condition and, then, determine the best plan for treatment, at minimal risk.
- 24-hour Emergency Room
- Consultation Room
- 3 Dental Chairs
- Modern Operating Theatre
- CT Scanner Hi-speed NX/I Pro with Denta Scan:
- Function: to show teeth, bone structure and nerves in the dental area as a 3-dimensional image for full viewing.
- Orthoralix 9200 X-ray Radiography Panoramic:
- Function: one-dimensional perspective of teeth and bone structure.
- Most modern orthodontic materials: transparent ceramic braces, metal braces;
- Highest quality materials available for restoration & reconstructive surgery: pure titanium plates & screws of European manufacture (Tekka) and exclusive to FV hospital.