Neurosurgery is the medical specialty which provides for the operative and non-operative management (i.e., prevention, diagnosis, evaluation, treatment, care and rehabilitation) of disorders of the central and peripheral nervous systems.
The FV Hospital Neurosurgeons cover a broad spectrum of conditions including brain and spinal cord tumours, strokes, epilepsy, blood flow to the brain (carotid artery stenosis), Parkinson’s disease.
The specialist services provided by the FVH Neurosurgical team encompass the medical and surgical treatment of adult and paediatric patients with disorders of the nervous system including disorders of the brain, meninges, skull base, and their blood supply, including the treatment of disorders of the intracranial and extra cranial vasculature supplying the brain and spinal cord; disorders of the pituitary gland; disorders of the spinal cord, meninges, and vertebral column, and disorders of the cranial and spinal nerves throughout their distribution.
The following conditions are treated by the FVH Neurosurgical team:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and similar problems affecting other peripheral nerves
- Cervical and lumbar spinal disc herniation
- Spinal stenosis
- Brain tumours
- Tumours of the spine, spinal chord and peripheral nerves
- Haemorrhagic stroke (sub-arachnoid haemorrhage, as well as intra-parenchymal and intra-ventricular haemorrhage)
- Malformations of the nervous system
- Cerebral aneurysm
- Carotid artery stenosis
- Pharmacologically resistant epilepsy
- Movement disorders (Parkinson’s disease, chorea, hemiballism)
- Intractable pain caused by cancer, or trauma and cranial/peripheral nerve pain